Senior Industrial Designer
We are seeking an industrial designer with a passion for entrepreneurship and design, and a desire to create great new products and services, and get them to market. You need to be curious, a positive thinker and be willing to put the project and team first. You will need to be comfortable working in uncertain and uncharted environments as part of a team responsible for developing and delivering complex products that realise new futures for our customers worldwide.
The person we are looking for will need to have a solid background and several years of experience in bringing products from concept right through to market. A passion for product development is crucial and as is a proven background in designing complex products end to end. We need someone who can take an analytical approach to decision making and who can step up to take ownership of their work while not being afraid to make decisions. The ability to communicate effectively on design issues, with colleagues, customer and suppliers is essential.
Critical to this role will be design experience within highly regulated, safety critical industries and experience in complying with various standards and strict regulations will be regarded highly. An understanding of systems engineering and product integration processes is also crucial. The role will be hands on and highly technical yet you will need to understand how your work affects the bigger picture.
Desired Skills and Experience
Prerequisites for this position include a university qualification in Industrial Design or similar discipline, and a minimum of five years’ experience working in new product development of mechanical or electromechanical systems for mid to high volume manufacture. Preferably in the medical technology industry. You will be a curious and resourceful designer, who enjoys working as part of a team to explore and deliver elegant solutions to solve life’s complex problems. Key specific areas of desired knowledge and experience include:
- A demonstrated ability to apply original thought in solving open problems by utilising a methodical and logical approach to identify the root cause of an issue, developing a design direction and vision, and delivering solutions that are fresh and novel
- Highly advanced visual communication skills for communicating concepts, ideas, analysis, issues, etc. clearly via sketches, graphs, software generated photo realistic images, or combination thereof, including an ability to define the context of the image, the placement and composition of the image(s) in order to best highlight the design intent
- A demonstrated ability to carry out and/or manage user/stakeholder/market research, and an ability to understand, interpret and utilise results to produce great design
- Proven product development skills and experience from concept right through to delivery
- Ability to communicate design approach from requirements through to execution
- Knowledge of and ability to apply a wide range of prototyping techniques and technologies
- Proven ability to apply project management techniques and principles
- Experience in designing dynamic and static systems integrating mechanical and electronic elements
- Experience collaborating on problems within a multi-disciplinary R&D environment
- An understanding of designing for manufacturing processes: injection moulding, sheet metal fabrication, compression moulding, elastomers, machining
- An understanding of complexities associated with integrating electronic components and sub systems
- Understanding of new product development under design controls as specified by a Quality Management System (ISO9001, ISO13485, GMP or similar)
- An ability to produce high quality technical documents that are credible, easy to read with a clear layout, consistent formatting, correct spelling and grammar
- A desire to mentor and coach young designers and engineers to develop their skills as new product developers
- Computer Skills (required): Microsoft Office suite (inc Powerpoint & Project), CAD software (preferably Solidworks and/or Creo/Pro-e), Adobe Suite.
If you are ready and have the right skills, experience but most importantly, attitude, then a role in a truly unique, award winning product development company awaits. Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com